Monday, July 24, 2006

GUTTERAL NOISES OF ANGER AND DISGUST

There is absolutely NO REASON why a movie should make me mad. (Just... work with me here. Don't argue this point. Not yet.) Jenny, Dan, and I went to see, well we went with intentions to see Pirates but that wasn't in the cards so we saw Lady in the Water instead. I left that movie theatre drained and frustrated and having NO IDEA how to put my feelings into words.

Now, I love stories, fairy tales, fables. I bought The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales (my cover isn't that cool though) even though my mom thought I was too old. Hell, I even like some of the Disney "adaptations" of the Grimm fairy tale stories. I could even see falling for a guy who would tell me bedtime stories. (I don't, however, care how pretty Heath Ledger and Matt Damon are, Brothers Grimm was a shitty movie.)

But I spent the WHOLE movie just willing and wishing that story not to be real. I liked certain individual characters! I think I like the concept! I expected so much more!

M. Night's not a bad looking man (which translates directly into literary talent)(even though he has a stupid name). I WANT him to do well. I WILL his movies to be good. I COMPEL myself to like them. But he has to meet me halfway here. I can't wholly support this relationship on my own. NO ONE IN THAT MOVIE HAD A CLUE WHAT WAS GOING ON! The dialogue PHYSICALLY PAINED ME. It was so frustrating to sit there and watch. Granted, some of my frustration stemmed from other sources (Jenny, just LISTENING to your end of that phone conversation almost sent me into convulsions), and I'm exhausted from this weekend (the work wasn't hard but that couch was unpleasant).

I keep going to his movies, hoping they'll be good. I feel just like a jilted lover.

And I'm not taking the rejection well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was looking forward to seeing this movie, as I like M. Night a lot also, but most everyone is saying it is horrible. Does the fact that just about nobody liked The Village and I did give me some hope for this movie? Yes, but I am afraid hope won't help. I will just have to suck it up and see it...

Jenny N said...

weird...M. Night is indian...Ragin is indian.....connection?


and yes, M. Night is not bad to look at.

Anonymous said...

had you seen pirates you might have as equally enraged...I was! I still get hot in the ears when I think about it.

However, two very fine men to watch.

Anonymous said...

I just saw it last night. I enjoyed it. And I liked Pirates 2 (maybe even better than the first). Maybe it's blasphemy, but there you have it.