Tuesday, July 17, 2007

YOU WOULDN'T LIKE ME WHEN I'M ANGRY

On second thought, you might find it refreshingly relatable. Maybe that trait will make me seem human.

See, I have this thing. I don't really GET angry.

Go ahead. Scoff. Laugh if you must. I understand if you don't believe me.

Alas, your doubt and skepticism do not make it any less true. I do not really get angry. I won't let myself. Instead I get frustrated. Lets call it Self Preservation. Because, see, I have this other thing. We'll call it a Bad Habit. I tend to say most anything that pops into my head, oft time to the point I walk away from many an interaction thanking God they find me funny.

I'm afraid of my own anger. Because I feel it might drive me to say something that won't be interpreted as funny, something I won't later be able to fix. Because some people hold grudges (and y'all need to knock that shit off.)

So rather than rely on my rather severe lack of an internal editing system, I don't get angry. I redirect that energy internally (much to the detriment of my own mental health) and regenerate it as frustration, something that upon recent reflection, I don't handle NEARLY as well as I handle anger.

Who knew?

My point in all of this is that I've recently been learning to accept and thoughtfully deal with my own anger. Then there are times I fail.

I was talking with the Pretentious Intern at work today about something decidedly not work related. My dad and I saw Ratatouille this weekend and as has come to be expected by the best the industry has to offer the CG was AHH. MAY. ZING. I mean shit. They paid attention to details as minute as the DENSITY OF THE BREAD.

I, apparently, was stupid to comment on this.

PI: "I mean, I've heard that the story is good, but no one has said anything about the CG."

Now, for those of you not paying attention: first off, knock that shit off. I am important because I have a blog therefore PAY ATTENTION TO ME. Second off, my background IS IN DIGITAL DESIGN. I would be remiss NOT to notice.

I stated this fact.

PI: "What software do they use to make it?"

ME: "In school, we used Cinema 4D though that isn't the industry standard."

PI: "Well, I don't understand why you're so impressed. I would think anyone would be able to do that if they had the software available to them."

ME: "..."

WTF?! Do you even realize you just negated my FIVE YEARS of schooling, not to mention the couple thousand my parents threw at them every couple of months for me to go TO said schooling IN ONE GOD DAMN SENTENCE?!

I mean shit. Do you think anyone could be a brain surgeon because they have a scalpel or an opera singer because they have a voice? (And do I think my art is on par with either of those things? No, but I'm trying to make a point here people!)

And I didn't say anything to you at work. Because we were at work. But I do have a few answers for you:

"Why didn't you invite me to lunch today?"

Because you're an asshole.

"Why don't we ever hang out anymore?"

Because you're an asshole.

"Why haven't we gone to that one resturaunt?"

WE have. WE just haven't invited you.

Because you're an asshole.

No comments: