Sunday, July 08, 2007

STILL SHAKEY BUT A DAMN FINE WEEKEND

So today was the day of Meant-To-Be's. No, I DIDN'T get my new cell phone battery but while attempting to show my Dad how the phone would only flash the Samsung screen (and absolutely nothing else) when I pushed the ON button, it suddenly, sheepishly, sprang to life and LO, THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING.

And that, my friends, was the second well-hot-damn thing to happen IN ONE DAY.

I think I may be getting spoiled.

Mom and Dad came down this weekend to help me clean/decorate/revel in the new apartment (which is certainly starting to grow on me but I still fear it will never be home). They spent OODLES AND OODLES of money on me for things like a valance for the kitchen window. I mean hell (an appreciative and grateful hell, but hell nontheless).

Part of the weekend plan I had formulated was to use the existing sofa I had inherited from the parents (and by existing, I mean has probably been in existance since before I was born) and crappily recover it just so it MIGHT look better than brown burlap.

Mom and Dad formulated a new plan that involved buying me a new couch.

Heeee.

They set a limit of $300 (which I SWEAR TO GOD Dad told me $200 but whatever) and we proceeded to check out Sofa Express (expressly your style, my ass), Furniture Fair (style and flare, from 1987), and Lowe's (yeah, they don't carry couches) all to no avail. Not only was there a severe lack of styles I actually liked, but all the shitasticly overstuffed styles were a wee bit more than budget.

We checked out Big Lots which had a leatherish (I think it was real?) couch that wasn't bad but still a bit much and I didn't really want to have to fork over my money for this thing, because seriously. That $50 I spent on a table? Pushing it.

Our last ray of hope fell squarely upon the shoulders of Value City Furniture. And we went to Value City. Department Store.

NO ONE TOLD ME THEY WERE NOT THE SAME THING.

But we did get directions (and then I almost got in a car accident) and made our way on over and we found it. The couch that was destined to be mine.

It's blue. It's beautiful. It's a wee tall and I'm not entirely convinced it's going to fit through my door but the mover guys can figure that out. But best of all. It's $300. Now, if you were not paying attention, that means it was within budget. I'm just letting you know that because up to this point, I had not been paying attention and was still thinking I might have to hork (yes, HORK) over some of my money.

We were all ready to just tell the sales lady to wrap it up with a little bow but I thought I might want to glance at the other couch down the way JUST TO BE SURE when the first miracle happened to be sitting just down the way in all it's splendor.

We discovered a floor model of the EXACT SAME COUCH in the EXACT SAME COLOR I had just decided I wanted for, get this, $149.99, and LO, THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING and possibly a jig.

Behold:



It's name is Chad Sofa in Navy. At least that is what the Value City website says. It shall be mine a week from Saturday (it would have been this Saturday but I'm going home for a 21st birthday party).

No, you may not sit on it. You will sit on the floor with the rest of the dirty nasties BECAUSE CHAD SOFA SHALL ONLY BE FOR GAZING!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad is beautiful! You should cover it in plastic like Grandma so it will still be pristine 35 years from now. (It is also a deterent to any who would attempt to sit on Chad , as no one likes it when their bum sticks to the furniture.)

sarah cool said...

I like Chad, too!!

Qzorp said...

Or, you could do it like someone I know did. They had a cat, and had this terrible electro-shock mat that they kept on the couch. Only problem? She didn't tell me that it was on, so I went to sit down on the couch.
It was not, shall we say, pleasant.

Anonymous said...

I Like Andrew's way MUCH better than mine!