Wednesday, February 06, 2008

LA INK

I want to do something that, while not rash, will probably annoy my parents and will certainly write me out of the will should my grandparents ever catch wind of it.

I want to get a tattoo.

Now, this little inkling isn't new. I've actually wanted one since I was 18 and at that point I decided I would force myself to wait five years and if, after the end of that time, I still wanted one, I would... give it more thought?

Obviously, the allotted amount of time has expired (see: current age - 18 = more than five). Obviously, I still want one (see: because I said I did up in the second paragraph). Obviously, I've had the time to give it more thought (see: my previous example of finite mathmatics). So, given those factors, wouldn't you expect my ass to be bedazzled with glittery butterflies and colorful flowers?

But therein lies (one of/the biggest) problem(s). I don't know what I would get. So last night, as a form of research and, more likely, a form of insomnia, I watched LA Ink, which did nothing to solve my problem, but rather magnified the yearning deep down in my bitter, black soul.

I have a fair grasp about why this urge has suddenly started again in such force and have come to realize there are currently several factors working against me.
  1. The second most important reason I haven't yet permanently affixed some lucky guys name to my ass is because of the cost of getting a tattoo. But not only am I working now, I'm also moving soon and, as a result, I've been prepping myself to actually SPEND money, something that doesn't always happen with the utmost frequency. And now, without an immediate outlet, I'm stuck with it burning (oh god, the BURNING) a hole in my pocket.

  2. I feel as though I need a little jump start to being a bit more reckless daring in my life because this boredom thing isn't cutting it. Particularly when my goals and dreams in life dictate I grow a f*cking pair and take a risk already.

  3. I've always said I would get a tattoo if something happened in my life that I wanted to commemorate, and taking that risk... THAT might be something pretty cool to commemorate.

  4. I watched LA Ink last night.


I'm not sure if this feeling will result in a picture of Roy splayed across my bicep or just fade away into the ether, but either way, I'd rather you not tell my parents. (Hi DAD!)

11 comments:

Erik Barnes said...

If you get one (you should), make sure it speaks about yourself or your ideals and put it on a place that can be covered in case you have a great job interview and the person interviewing you is a fuddy-duddy from 1940's that sees a tattoo as something "rapscallions" or "roust-abouts" get. Shoulder, calf, back (not the small of the back because it shows when you bend over), are my picks. Just my opinion, being a tattooed guy myself.

Duchess T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duchess T said...

Don't worry about the grandparents' wills because I have already trailblazed that one for you my darling sister. See I am still standing and Grandpa still says he loves me. (He could be faking it but come on, have you met me? Hi DAD!)

Get a tatoo that commerates you. What better reason could there be??? You're worth it baby!

Jaymie said...

Sooooo...basically this post has cemented me as the favorite...both of our parents and our grandparents. YAY!!!! I win... well, I guess I win when you actually get the tattoo. But rest assured...I will butter Grandpa up with some good wine and political conversation...and when the ackward pause happens (because it always does) I will quickly jump to fill it with this delightful piece of information. hehehehehe... it will be the perfect pay back for you telling Dad some things about me and my husband before it was appropriate. (Hi Dad!)

And Tiff...don't get your hopes too high...Grandpa may love you, but he is a spitefull old man. But if it makes you feel any better, I have come across his will and it doesn't seem like it has been changed over the past 10 years.

Jenny N said...

butterfly? white trash rose? on your boob? yes?

Anonymous said...

How about one that says "You must be this tall to ride this ride."

On the inside of your thigh.

(Hi, Dad?)

SLRd said...

AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You are all sick freaks. Michael.. the (Hi, Dad?) flawless execution, my friend. F-L-A-W-L-E-S-S.

Duchess T said...

Michael,

I concur with Shannon. It was beautiful.

Rini- Grandpa loves me, no matter what. Ha ha ha ha ha

Jaymie said...

Very entertaining responses to this blog...

PS. Tiff- I hope for your sake he isn't just putting on a show...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I forgot this!

1) The song is awesome.
2) The song during the credits is a propos.

Linked because I'm pretty sure it won't accept the embedding html:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xOhTuPTmnI

Duchess T said...

Trini says you shoud get "Trini" in a beautiful script tatooed on your ass in honor of him. Of course, he was drinking so I am not sure if the honor is that he is an ass or that everyone should kiss yours. I'll let you decide.