Wednesday, October 17, 2007

ISH

Friends, family, and stalkers. Dear, sweet, gentle reader(s) of my blog, I need your help to prove a point.

A good few of you have already weighed in on this debate but alas, it still rages. You see, the Distraction, he has this pesky little belief that is WRONGWRONGWRONG. And I, being the good and gracious person that I am, want to rub his nose in it.

The Distraction believes to the very fiber of his being that if he tells me he'll be somewhere at, oh lets say 11:30, and then throws an "ish" onto the end, that gives him leeway to be upwards of 40 M-I-N-U-T-E-S late. FOURTY. Four. Zero. I ascertain that "ish" equals 20 minutes, tops. Twenty. Two. Zero. As in HALF of what he thinks it should mean.

And that, dear reader, is where you come in. How much time does "ish" really give you?



Also, the Distraction has started to tell me that UFC is fake (WHICH IT SO TOTALLY IS NOT) because he likes watching me snivel and whine about it and also, he's an asshole. And now I have to go take a nap so I'm in a (somewhat) pleasant mood when he comes over to hang out after he gets off work tonight.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ISH means 5 minutes tops. Does the Distraction not understand that to be late is to be disrespectful of your time. (This is a VERY big issue to me. Trini time my ass!!!)

Anonymous said...

ISH= 5-15 minutes and not a second later. I must agree with Tiff. He is being very disrespectful of your time...I know that you are both very OCD about being on time...

And about UFC...Oh it's real...and if he doesn't believe it, tell him I'll go Tito Ortiz on his ass!

Anonymous said...

"Ish" is a load of crap. If you make plans with someone to do something/be somewhere at a certain time, "ish," if you have to apply a time-frame to it, just means that you're not thoughtful enough to plan how to get there so that, even if you get caught in traffic or whatnot, still get there when you say you would.

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE JUST FREAKIN' SHOW UP WHEN THEY SAY THEY WILL AND NOT BLAME THE LACK OF COMMUNICATION ON THE FACT THAT YOU DON'T HAVE A CELL PHONE I WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO MAKE THE COMMENT WORDS BIGGER BECAUSE CAPS LOCK JUST ISN'T DOING IT FOR ME I HATE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T SHOW UP ON TIME THIS IS THE LONGEST SENTENCE I'VE EVER WRITTEN ALL AT ONCE AND THERE SHOULD REALLY BE A COMMA IN HERE SOMEWHERE OK I'M GOING TO STOP NOW.

(pant, pant, pant)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a cancer ward to go cry over.

Tommy said...

Like I said, 15 min., maybe 20 if I'm in a good mood. Tops. And under certain circumstances, maybe even 30. But that would have to be something like he's driving here from Florida and says he'll be here at 7-ish. If he gets here at 7:30, I'm not going to care too much.

But that was 40 minutes. And not from Florida.

Anonymous said...

Michael and Bean you guys are right on the money!!!
Tommy you are close and I like your argument that distance, say Florida, would be a valid reason for using ISH. I will concur on that point otherwise the boy/person needs to get his ass there on time. PERIOD! Can't he read a watch? (Probably uses velcro sneakers too then.) Not earning any points with your big sister.

Who is Tito Ortiz? If he can lay the smackdown then I will like him too!

XOXOXO

SLRd said...

FOR THE RECORD: The 40 minutes and not from Florida comment Tommy left is refering to Friday night when the Distraction and his boyfriend met us at a bar at about ish past 11:30.

FOR THE OTHER RECORD: Bean might be pissed at me for saying this but Tito Ortiz is NOT a good fighter. He's a douche and there are WAY better fighters to like. Such as Jon Fitch.

FOR THE FINAL RECORD: I showed all of this to the Distraction. I think he might be caving to our overwhelming pressure and will from now on refer to "ish" as the right and proper 15 minute span that it is. Except now he's going to refer to 40 minutes as "ishness" which is OH SO MUCH BETTER. Bastard.

SLRd said...

AND FOR THE OTHER, OTHER, OTHER RECORD: The Distraction is not a bad guy, Tiff. Case-in-point, last night not only did he show up ON TIME, but he brought with him gifts in the shape of chicken nuggets, french fries, and a sprite.