Monday, July 21, 2008

BROOMBALL

Last night I played broomball for the third time ever. For those of you who were like me a few mere months ago and are unaware of exactly what broomball is, essentially, it's played on ice like hockey but with special shoes and a rubber ball instead of a puck. Granted, there are several other differences but for all intents and purposes, that pretty well describes it.

With that being said, I think now might be an appropriate time to remind you that I don't have good balance.

Oh sure. I know I fooled you what with all that delicate and dainty footwork I perform every time I trip over my own two feet just by walking down the street, the same fancy footwork that usually prevents me from falling flat on my ass, the same fancy footwork that does not work so well when on ice.

Yeah.

I fell. A lot. I fell so frequently people stopped bothering to ask if I was alright. That was until I slammed into the boards with my shoulder. They asked that time.

Adam suggested that I wouldn't slam into the boards if I stayed on my feet. But see, the flaw in that logic would be I WOULD NEED TO STAY ON MY FEET, which, if you've been following along AT ALL, you would know I'm not very good at doing. Because I fall. A lot.

But despite all that, I am having fun, so much so I told Adam I wish we could play more than once a week, and I am getting slightly better each time I play. Case in point, last night I had my very first assist (wherein I helped someone score a goal). It was for the other team, but I hold firm that, at this point, an assist is an assist and you just need to shut the hell up about.

This means you, Adam. Also: Tiff, Michael, Barnes, and anyone else who might make fun of me about it. I'M LEARNING BY DOING. Learning by doing.

11 comments:

Duchess T said...

Soon you shall be champion and we will raise a stein to you!

Adam-you need to assist her so she can score. (keep it out of the gutter...)

Anonymous said...

no judgment here. i love broomball and it takes time to get use to the ice. however, if video of you falling ends up on youtube, don't blame me for laughing.

SLRd said...

I HIGHLY recommend that Adam not take video of me falling on the ice. While I don't have a specific threat, I'm sure he can use his imagination.

Images MIGHT be acceptable.

Tommy said...

So you're learning to help the other team by doing? Good jorb.

Michael said...

I wasn't going to make fun. I was going to ask about the special shoes. Maybe you should look into crampons. They're a special kind of shoe.

And if that fails, try capons. That, indeed, would be a special kind of shoe.

Michael said...

Ok, just read the Wiki article. PEOPLE DIED FOR THIS SPORT. It is officially awesome.

Adam said...

I promise not to post the video, but private screening can be arranged for the right price...

Duchess T said...

Adam-Name the price...I'll be there in two weeks.

SLRd said...

You best be splitting that money with me. OR buying me something pretty with it. Something NEW and pretty.

Jaymie said...

Because he has been known to buy you something OLD and pretty?

SLRd said...

Most everything the man buys is second-hand or off eBay. Or both.

Not that I'm knocking either because he is quite the handy-dandy little bargain shopper. His next goal is to find the hanging lamp I want for his dining room. (You know, Adam. After you find yourself "new" broomball shoes.)