Thursday, June 15, 2006

I WOULDN'T BE A TOYS 'R' US KID

*When I first started this blog, I told myself it was always going to be funny, particularly at my own expense. This post isn't funny.

I recently finished with part one of a two part series, that being getting the hell done with design. The next step, only a quarter away from completion, is journalism.

So what the shit do I do next?

I have NEVER known what I wanted to be when I grew up. Hell, I only went into design on a whim and to prove to myself I could do it. And it has made. me. miserable. Only recently have I had fantasies of ACTUALLY DOING IT once I graduated, the first I've had in probably two years. I just don't fit into the 'art kid' mold, not in high school and certainly not now. I hang out with ENGINEERS! I am attracted to ENGINEERS! It's been asked why in the hell I'm NOT an ENGINEER! (just because Mythbusters is the coolest show EVER!)

The singular goal after graduation I can't stop thinking about (again) is the Peace Corps and getting the hell out of here. But what do I, a designer, have to offer the Peace Corps? I would be so much more helpful as an engineer. But there's the rub. I DON'T WANT to be an engineer in the US for the rest of my life. If I HAD gone that route, chances are good I wouldn't be coming back. As it were, I'll spend my two years in some third world country and I'll love every heartbreaking, terrifying minute of it. Then, broken and bruised, I'll come back to the United States, probably not Ohio (sorry, Mom), and I will use design in the form of magazines to help create an awareness here. National Geographic, or The New Yorker, or Relevant even, just SOME forum/medium/media to let people know what I've seen/heard/done.

Maybe, maybe that will be the experience for the book I've been wanting to write, the only thing I've consistantly wanted to do since I was in the 6th grade. Maybe I'll do that once I grow up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you. Not just for being lucid at 3:30 in the moring but because of your drive. I won't get sappy here in your blog because I'm sure your friends will make fun of you mercilessly. (If you wouldn't, they wouldn't be real friends. Real friends make you tough. Your friends must be made of steel by now.)

sarah cool said...

Oh Shannon! I think you would have SO much to offer to the peace corps!!!! My dad lived in India for 2 years back, way back, and just the experience was amazing. You should definitely look into that!

Oh, and try to go peacecorps yourself somewhere like Cancun or Italy, can you?