Wednesday, August 06, 2008

DON'T RUSH ME

Adam and I went home this weekend to attend my cousin's wedding and I'm a bit disappointed to report only one of my uncles put Adam on the spot by demanding to know what his intentions were with me.

Luckily, my aunts and my mother (mostly my mother) made up for it. Oh yes. They did. And while no one (to my knowledge) came right out and demanded to know a date, they each in their own way made inquiries... to the point where my mother felt obligated to apologize the next day and announced that what she may or may not have said was to in no way be interpreted as her trying to rush anyone.

And while I tease my mother (because it is my God-given right and duty as her daughter), I am thrilled to see Adam so accepted by the three matriarchs of the family, because you remember my snarky, snippy attitude from Friday?

I got that from my mother.

And you know how tact often suffers in my almost crippling drive to be blunt and honest?

I got that from her, too.

And do you know how anyone in my family celebrates any sort of accomplishment or event?

By drinking. In the case of this wedding, drinking heavily. I only bring this up to show just how much my mother must like Adam because I caught her not once but twice whispering conspiratorially with him (presumably about me because <- narcissistic), a drunken gleam in her eye. And she would not presume to be nice with that much alcohol in her system. (Case in point: my mother dropped and/or caused someone else to drop THREE different drinks that night.) So no, my mother was not doing well at hiding any sort of malice at that reception and when pressed about it, all Adam is willing to tell me about what transpired is, "drunk S is funny."

2 comments:

Duchess T said...

And I stayed sober. Ha ha
And you learned not to tell Mom that you were going "for a few minutes" LOL

Michael said...

I may be a bit out of sorts here, but isn't it a bit odd to have the parentals questioning the long-term relationship prospects? I mean, I understand that it's a parent thing, and I'm NEVER introducing my parents to my girlfriend until the night before the wedding simply to avoid a similar situation, but DAMN. I mean, I'm willing to bet that these are the same people that didn't like when boys came a callin' when you were in high school. What's up with that?