Sunday, March 18, 2007

WHERE THE PETS GO

Man Friend and I have a shared passion for dogs and, as a result, one of our favorite pasttimes involves going to the local Petland and gazing affectionately at all of the puppies.

Despite our shared affection for dogs as a whole, we have drastically different opinions as to which breeds are the cutest/smartest/bestest. His affections tend to lean towards breeds that slobber and tend to make ugly adults. I prefer... everything else (except poodles and anything that looks like a powder puff).

So it goes without saying that I'm not particularly fond of bulldogs because they fall in both the drool and the ugly adult catagories, so, obviously, Man Friend is smitten.

See, Mojo:


This image was taken (without permission) from Ballpoint Wren whose blog I like to read every now and again. And not that her dog is ugly per se but he IS a bulldog.

Well, today while hanging out in Columbus, we ventured the find the King of the Petland's, and we were not disappointed. Not only is it larger than all the other Petland's, they are FAR more encouraging of handling and playing with the puppies (something I am ALL for because it helps to socialize them and they aren't as likely to get bored).

After taking a general look at all the puppies and being handed one just for glancing at her, Man Friend managed to catch wind of a tiny, little, gray lump of a bulldog puppy. It took him several minutes to get ahold of her. A couple took her out to play with then passed her off to some children who finally handed her over to Man Friend. The poor thing looked terrified so I reached out to pet her and cooed at her a bit, to which she decided without any question that she would much rather I hold her than Man Friend (he took it much like a jilted lover would). She climbed her way over to me and started nestling into my chest. This little bundle tried to get as close to me as she could. She probably would have been extremely content if I would have wrapped her up in my coat and let her take a much needed nap.

And.. I totally fell for it. I've lost the war. I fell in love with an ugly bulldog (SHE was freaking cute but we all know that won't last).

I have named her Nugget.

No, I didn't buy her, but God damn did I want to. Man Friend had to force (FORCE!) me to give her back.

After all this, Man Friend again brought up his fear that all our future dogs are all going to like me better (jilted). This is partially because I am much more serious about training. And because I'm a girl and WAY cooler than his is. What dog WOULDN'T like me better? That is what I ask you. What dog?!

Actually, I simply explained to him that you go to daddy for play time and come to mommy for comfort.

See? Nugget already knows who her mommy is. She is the SMARTEST DOG IN THE WORLD.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You HAVE to go get Nugget! She sounds adorable and I have a particular fondness for Bulldogs. I have always loved them. Yes they may be ugly but they are the kind of cute ugly reserved for those people/animals that posess GREAT freakin' personalities.

Get her! I want ot be an auntie!

Anonymous said...

Mojo is SO cute!!!

Jenny N said...

I got Liesel a toy weiner dog that's in the PetsMart commercials. It's so cute.

Anonymous said...

Cats > dogs. That is all.

Yes, you can train cats. I did it, and with very little mocking for lack of an thumb.

You just have to be careful they don't decide to kill/eat/poop on you in your sleep.