Wednesday, September 24, 2008

TRAVELING FAST

Over the weekend, Adam and I traveled north with the express purpose of sharing some news with his parents, news I had already shared with my parents a whole damn month ago.

We arrived around 10:30 on Friday night after four hours of driving and traffic and boredom and had barely made it through the front door when Adam, without much introduction, draped his arm across his mother's shoulders and announced the the real reason we made the trip was because we had news.

His mother seemed apprehensive as she asked what that news might possibly be.

He told them I'm pregnant. (SURPRISE! Yeah, to us too!)

And the very first words out of his mother's mouth: "Whose is it?"

. . .

Now, I laughed because it was funny and because I'm about 60% sure she was kidding and because the woman has been in shock ever since but really?

Adam, ever the quick witted jester, told her we were waiting for Maury to find out. Because we're classy like that.

And while his parents are still coping with the idea, mine could not be more thrilled. Hell, even my grandparents are excited. My grandma never called me a hussy, not even once. I think she might be saving that one for Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

Jenny N said...

you know...when I heard you bailed on Guatemala, I thought that might have been it. I'm a genius, seriously.

And Congrats!!

sarah cool said...

wow!!! Your kid is going to be stinkin' HYSTERICAL, Shannon. I'm laughing picturing it, right now. Love ya!!

Adam said...

Yeah, I forgot to tell you that I talked to the doctor and he said the DNA test would be back by the middle of next week...

Just kidding, and my mom is coming out of shock, she's excited about nursery decor.

Jaymie said...

When did you tell Grandma? Why wasn't I there to watch her facial expression? Why do I miss all the good things?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

So, that is what the kids are calling it these days!

Tommy said...

That's awesome! Kids are cool, and I can't wait to meet this one!

Congrats!

Duchess T said...

Excellent recovery comment Adam. :et me know when you'll be on Maury. I'll take the day off, go to the local pub, and tell everyone that know you guys. (I might even admit I'm related....)

Anonymous said...

congrats, mom!